A lot of couples in the US are often bothered with questions about how to get married in Bridgeport, CT. Other people in relationship, single people as well have this questions and in this article, we will be giving a clear explanation of how to get married in Bridgeport.
Where Is Bridgeport?
Bridgeport is a community and a town (township) in Fairfield County, Connecticut, in the United States. The community, which has the highest population density in the state, is a port on Long Island Sound at the Pequonnock River’s mouth.
It was first called Newfield and then Stratfield when it was first settled in 1639. In 1800, it became a municipality and was given the name Bridgeport in honor of the first drawbridge over the river.
How To Get Married In Bridgeport CT Connecticut – Step By Step Guide
Marriage is a legally and socially recognized union between two individuals who have chosen to spend their lives together. It is a profound commitment that involves love, trust, and mutual respect.
The institution of marriage has been around for centuries, and its meaning and purpose have evolved over time. In the past, marriage was primarily a means of securing alliances and passing on wealth and property. However, in modern times, marriage is seen as a way for two individuals to form a lifelong partnership based on love and mutual support.
Marriage is not just a legal agreement; it is a deeply personal and emotional commitment that requires effort, compromise, and communication. It involves sharing your life with someone else, building a family, and creating a sense of belonging.
The benefits of marriage are numerous. Research has shown that married individuals tend to be happier and healthier than those who are not married.
It is a blessing to have someone to come home to at the end of work and someone with whom you can share your burdens. Married couples are also more likely to have better financial stability and to live longer than those who remain single.
If you wish to get married in Bridgeport, the first step to take is obtaining your marriage license assuming you have met someone and there’s mutual consent to get married.
What Are The Criteria For Obtaining A Marriage License In Bridgeport?
Below this is the criteria for obtaining a marriage license in Bridgeport. Although there are other factors that influence this, but these are a few criteria and they include:
- The bride and the groom should be at least 18 years old. If either bride or groom is under 18, a parent must consent to the marriage by signing the back of the license. If either bride or groom is under 16, a probate judge must also give his/her endorsement.
- You do not have to be a resident to apply. The bride and groom may live elsewhere.
- The marriage license must be obtained in Bridgeport if you plan to get married in the town.
- The bride and groom must apply for the license but it is not compulsory to apply together. If the application is signed on different dates, the latter date is considered the official date.
- There is no need for blood tests of any sort.
How To Apply For The License?
There are a lot of ways to apply for the license for marriage in Bridgeport and some of these ways include:
- Visit the Bridgeport Office of Vital Records. The office is open throughout the week but marriage license applications are not accepted after 4 pm.
- You will provide the local registrar with a valid government-issued photographic identification that includes the applicant’s date of birth, signature, and expiration date. If this is unavailable, suitable substitutes include:
- Social security card
- Social security card plus employment identification card, a paycheck stub, or a W-2 form.
- Automobile registration
- Copy of utility bill showing name and current address.
- Bank statement showing name and current address
- Voters registration card
- Valid government-issued trade or professional license
- Valid government-issued firearm permit.
- Probation documents from a court or another government agency
- Letter from a government agency verifying identity. This letter should not be more than 6 months old.
- Release documentation from a correctional institution containing a photograph and not older than 12 months.
- Military discharge papers
- Birth certificate of the applicant
- The application fee is $50 paid via cash or money order.
- The license obtained is valid for 65 days.
- You must provide the local registrar with the date of your marriage, the location of the marriage ceremony which must be in Bridgeport, and the name of the person who will perform the ceremony.
- The license is obtained immediately after all requirements have been met. It is signed by the bride, groom, and deputy registrar who also stamps it with a raised seal.
- The person who performed the marriage is required to return the license to the office of vital records after indicating the time and place of the marriage.
- The filing of the completed license should be done the first week of the month after the marriage.
- To receive a copy of the completed license, request it at the vital records office. This costs $20.
- If your license expires before you get married, you will need to re-apply.
- The Vital Records Office is at 999 Broad Street on the first floor. This office opens from 9 am.
After obtaining the license, all that’s left is planning the wedding before the license expires and looking for a registered official to join you with the love of your life. If you are interested in signing a prenuptial agreement, you can find a lawyer to assist you to reach a favorable agreement before your big day.
After the marriage, you can change your name for free at the Social Security Records Office. You can also choose to maintain your maiden name. This is not compulsory for married couples.
Marriage is not without its challenges. It requires both partners to work together to overcome obstacles and maintain a strong and healthy relationship. Communication is key, and couples who are able to communicate effectively tend to have stronger marriages.
It is also important to note that marriage is not for everyone, and it should not be entered into lightly. It is a significant life decision that should be based on careful consideration and a deep understanding of what it means to commit to another person for the rest of your life.
In conclusion, marriage is a meaningful and important institution that can bring great joy and fulfillment to individuals who choose to enter into it. It requires effort, commitment, and communication, but the rewards can be significant for those who are willing to put in the work
if you are interested in more information concerning this, then you should watch this video.